- That sunset picture up top is easily my favorite one yet. Annoying that those ladies walked into the frame and obstructed the silhouette of the kid in front, but overall I really like the photo.
- I think I have heat rash. My skin’s been just fine for 19 months, but it just noticed the hot weather. Heat rash. Break out the talcum powder.
- Cat foods in order from least disgusting flavor to most disgusting:
- Albacore with scales;
- Beef and lamb stew.
- In the past couple weeks I’ve taught my mom, my sister, Victor, Bree (sp?), and Dustin to play Euchre. I fear I can sometimes be an impatient teacher, and for that I apologize.
- Sitting with a bunch of Peace Corps guys and Dustin at the Smoke Free Rugby Tournament yesterday, it was pretty funny how we were all completely clueless as to many of the rules of rugby. I explained to Dustin that after a try they always kick it from the 22-meter line, but then later in the game they kicked it from farther out. And then from further in. So I turned to Dan and asked him. He shrugged and said, “Yeah. They kick it from there,” gesturing out toward wherever the kicker was kicking. Clearly.
- Dustin’s hat and sunglasses disappeared from the Peace Corps office this afternoon. I’m convinced it was a Group 82. Those kids have sticky fingers.
- I’d rather go with $20 worth of taro than a 20-pound bag of rice because Taro has a lot more nutrients than rice. In fact, the Ministry of Health is in the middle of a campaign now to get people to eat more taro.
- Did anyone notice the post that disappeared earlier in the week? I’m starting to send the blog out to various academic institutions in preparation for grad school applications, and that post was decidedly un-academic. So I took it down. Apologies to anyone who missed it.
- Dustin’s learned the hard way to not order mixed drinks in Samoa. $5 for a bottle of Vailima, $9 for a screwdriver, and a weak screwdriver at that. Ouch.
- I’ve been seeing my students all over town since I got back from Hawai’i. They wave shyly, and I throw out an “Ua?” when I can. It’s fun.
- In this picture, doesn’t Victor look gigantic compared to my mom? It’s because of the angle. I’m sitting directly across from Victor, and my mom is a ways down the table. It’s hard to tell from the picture. An optical illusion, I guess.
- Finally, I ran into blog reader Gracie while walking by Cappuccino Vineyard in town this afternoon. Gracie accesses the blog from Las Vegas though she’s spending 2 months in Saleimoa right now. Cheers to you, Gracie.
Me, Dan, AJ, and Supy at the rugby tournament yesterday.
Watching Supy's school versus Koa's school.
Scout discovers niu.