- ME: I started reading “War and Peace” today. 932 pages to go.
- PHIL: I have a cat now. One of my year 10s brought a kitten to class, and I took it away. Not knowing what to do with it, I put it in my house until afterschool. And then I still didn’t know what to do with it. So I kept it. He’s got dark grey fur, lighter grey spots, and white paws. I call him Trousers.
- BLAKEY: I took the new boat this morning. It’s great! 2 levels of seating, and they sell coffee for $2. I sat near the front, and about 5 minutes after I sat down, the Prime Minister boarded the boat, and sat in the seat directly in front of me! I talked to him a little. He went to the school where I teach.
- M: I borrowed some paint from the art teacher to touch up my wall where the person who lived in my house before me had scraped off a bunch of the paint. I’ve got a yogurt cup of white paint sitting on the table, when the cat sees a gecko run across the wall. I moved to avoid the cat, bumping the table. The paint, of course, toppled over—on top of the cat. I washed off what I could, but she’s definitely whiter than she used to be.
- P: Paul’s been teaching me to play ukulele. At this point, the only song I can play is James Taylor’s “Fire and Rain”. I play it a lot.
- B: Last Tuesday, I ate 7 avocados.
- M: I have a rash on my ear. I’m not sure what’s causing it. Maybe my pillow? Maybe my headphones? Maybe the guy who sat next to me on the bus ride to the host village last week? It doesn’t itch, it’s just bumpy. Phil and Blakey blame the cat.
- P: I have been specially chosen by the Savai’i Sports Council to be the IT guy at their monthly meetings. Mostly I just set up the laptop and the projector and then sit off to the side. Sometimes I get to correct the date/time on someone’s cell phone. Either way, I’ll include it on my resume.
- B: I was at cricket practice at Apia Park on Wednesday. The coach for the women’s national team happened to be at the stadium for a meeting. She watched practice for a bit and then invited me to try out for the Samoan National Womens’ English Cricket team. We’ll see.
- M: I punched an Australian volunteer in the face this past weekend. We were at a local eating establishment, and he was one table over from me. He slandered me and called me rude names. I thought about throwing my fork, but instead I just punched him. He had it coming.
- P: I recently purchased a Swiss Army Knife that has 85 different tools and implements. It weighs 2 pounds, and it’s 9 inches long. It’s not the most practical thing in the world, but it’s kinda cool. Also, it came with a specially embroidered fanny pack.
- B: While snorkeling this afternoon, a barracuda bit my foot. I kicked it in the face, and it swam away. Luckily there are no sharks in the reef, and the bite was superficial.
- P: I’ve decided to extend my service for a third year.
- B: I’m engaged.
- M: I’m pregnant.